Friday, May 23, 2014

Going to look at a boat

I'm so close I can taste it.  I've been shopping for more than 2 years and am only going to look at my second boat.  I've read more than a dozen books, and have even met some of the authors.  I know exactly what I'm looking for.

The owner and I bonded right away in a phone call and I told him I've got the money in the bank, but still may be just tire kicking. I also know I'm looking for a boat that is rigged for crossing oceans which this one is. I told him I'd bring cold beer and would be happy to swing by whenever he's planning to be on board. He said if a sailor is coming to look at his boat - we're going sailing.  Hell yea!  We'll see what happens.

If I buy it I'll post pictures and details at how I decided this was the one. I HAVE TO GET THIS DECISION RIGHT- and I will not rush it.

For those who know me, not much happens in my life by accident.  I'm an organized person and a planner which makes me a great captain, and one day, great pilot. I'm sending white light and butterflies out to the world trusting that the right seller and the right boat will come my way.  I'm confident based on my past experience and research that I'll know it when I see it.  It could be this weekend, or it could be 6-12 months from now. I can live with either and I'll pull the trigger when its time.

A close colleague of mine who is a pilot has been pushing me not to delay getting my license any longer b/c I'm not getting any younger.  Ground school is already done and he says, "What are you waiting for".  He doesn't see the whole picture.  You can't live in a plane and the idea of going 6 knots with following seas instead of 200 mph like I normally do is more appealing.  If I were going to do it, I'd be doing it in a Velocity experimental which I have flown right seat 50' above the Atlantic Ocean. It was awesome.  www.velocityaircraft.com/

Free Advice: Don't get too emotionally committed to any transaction (whether it's a company, a house, a plane, or a boat). You'll arrive at the best deal when you're prepared to walk away from it, and nobody gets everything they wanted. The deal you walk away from today might be the best deal you've ever made later. Yes, you can quote me.

For those who dabble in corporate mergers and acquisitions like me, you can see an example of this by learning how AstraZeneca has not jumped towards their first suitor, and rejected 2 offers even as Pfizer was applying pressure.  Not the same realm or scale obviously, but you get my point.  http://goo.gl/YnAVZ5

Have a great Memorial Day, and thank a veteran like me for their service,

-V


No comments:

Post a Comment