Friday, December 27, 2013

A Nod to My First Mate of 15 Years

There has been a lot of things that have lead up to the breaking free adventure, but I can't take a step forward without first recognizing my first mate of 15 years- my labrador retriever Knox I had to put down on Dec 9th.  For those who know me well you boated with him. He always crowded you, especially when he was wet, and probably shook off on you once or twice when you weren't expecting it.  If you got to meet him, you couldn't help but love him.  He and I went through a lot together and here are some highlights of fond memories:

  • For the maiden voyage of my first Boston Whaler, he was there.
  • Ears flapping so fast at the bow of the boat at full throttle that I was a afraid he was going to take flight.
  • He dug holes chasing ghost crabs so deep, all you could see were butt and tail.
  • I got rid of the wife and kept the dog- one of the best decisions I've ever made.
  • One time he spooked, and spun so fast his hind quarters went off the dock, and the rest followed in a long slow drag of claw resisting terror like something out of a cartoon- he was fine.
  • Wading into the water just enough to lay down, cool off, and keep going.
  • He was a consummate gentlemen with other dogs, cats, and kids. 
  • He never told if someone got topless or went skinny dipping.
  • Rolling in really stinky otter poop at a big party - bad dog!
  • Frisbee dog extraordinare when he was younger.  Always up for a game of beersbee, or being the monkey in the middle.
  • Chewing Nylabones, the treat of choice and 24 hour breakfast of champions- even when I was trying to sleep.
  • The summer party where Paul and our friends got him drunk on beer. What a hangover he had!
  • Being in the middle of the mud fight with the ladies at the Rockville Regatta.  I owe you for that one bud.
  • Taking dock baths - and playing the bull vs. me as bullfighter when it was time to dry off. Ole!
  • First time my boat almost sunk - he came to lay down next to me after the excitement was over to make me feel better.  It didn't go down, but it was touch and go for a while there.
  • One time we went boat camping and I left him outside for the night. The mosquito's were so bad he cried for relief he was getting bitten so badly.  I took pity and let him in the tent. That sandy dog made a mess of everything, but got his own tent after that in a rare moment of being spoiled.
  • Falling in the water trying to catch a mullet mid-jump in his teeth.
  • Popcorn- the only people food he ever got when it wasn't an accident.  He loved it as much as his dad does, and could catch it from any angle.
  • Dogsitters - From old friends to near strangers.  Thank you.  He never spent a day in the kennel since he was two years old, even when I was a road warrior.
He was never any good at making coffee.  He couldn't fend off for shit, and whenever I asked him to grab the anchor line he gave me this look like "Nah, I don't feel like it.  You do it".  Still for all he couldn't do, he was great at just being him and that made everyone's life around him brighter- especially mine.  I miss you dude and when I get underway in blue ocean I'll imagine you standing at the bowsprit watching the dolphins with your ears flapping in the wind with that big 'ol smile on your face.  


No comments:

Post a Comment